A refurbishment of a prestigious Grade II Fire Station dating from 1904. Our design provides modern facilities for the Fire fighters and offices for the Borough Team, without compromising the building’s historical importance and character.
The design allowed for the retention of many historic features such as period fire places, cupboards, architectural detailing, original doors and sympathetic repairs to the original windows. The layout was altered to improve the building’s efficiency, with existing upper floor flats being converted into new offices. The ground floor appliance bay area, with its high ceilings and original wrought iron columns, was accessed via three large folding doors, one of which became the new station entrance. To enhance this area we designed a bespoke floor to ceiling glass entrance foyer so that visitors to the Fire Station could appreciate the building’s historic architecture.